PRS Phonics Course – Phonic Facts Overview
For teachers with limited time, here is a brief overview of how the phonic facts are taught in the Practice Reading & Speaking phonics course sold on this website. See a review of the contents of the PRS phonics course and its benefits. Learn how to teach phonics clearly to children, adults and ESL students. (This page takes less than 5 minutes to read. We value your time.) Do you prefer to be told the bare-bones facts in everyday life? Easier to grasp principles isn’t it? Treat your students to a new way of learning. Just tell it like it is in as few words as possible.
You will find a downloadable free preview of the course or its sister book Phonic Stories for adults at the bottom of the page. The eBook of stories is also suitable for youths and covers modules 1-39 in Practice Reading & Speaking. (Clean, wholesome, motivational stories with satisfying endings.) Perfect for remedial teaching.
Learn how the course works in practice. (Teaching Guide) Additionally, check out the brief review of the contents of Practice Reading & Speaking at the bottom of this page.
Practice Reading & Speaking – The Contents
- As a teacher, you have probably wondered, “How many graphemes are there in the English language? ” There are approximately 250. When you relate the graphemes to phonemes, there are over 1,000 variations of spelling in the English language. This phonic course contains all of them. A proficient reader, can read over 1,000 variations in sound to spelling relationships. (See number 4)
- The 70 modules (or pages) in the course, teach all of the graphemes found in the English language (not just the ones usually taught in primary schools). Therefore, phonics can be taught to an adult level. A child with a reading age of eleven still has much to learn to be able to read every word in English. With this course you can continue teaching until they have a true adult reading age.
- All of the different spelling patterns in the English language have been organised by sound, then, in order of difficulty. There are 3 levels of difficulty. The first 39 modules covers Key Stages 1 and 2. By the end of module 39 the pupil will have been taught systematically, 559 of the phonic facts needed in order to develop reading fluency. They will have had a thorough grounding in reading. How much time this takes will depend on you and your students. (How quickly could you read 39 A4 pages?)
- A unique index in Practice Reading & Speaking demonstrates how a single spelling can have many different sounds. For example, the letter ‘a’ has 11 different sounds in English. All spelling patterns with variations in how they sound when spoken are included in this index (even the rare ones). Almost 100 graphemes have 2 to 11 variations of sound (phoneme). This index does NOT include the graphemes that only ever have one option when sounding them out.
- The course contains teaching notes, assessments, basic English, lesson ideas, suggestions for reading games and a chart shows pupils how to improve their own creative writing. Segment focus pages help dyslexic children who need extra assistance with visual and auditory discrimination.
- High frequency words have been included as early as possible. A key words chart, lists which module teaches the main graphemes that they contain.
- Irregular words CAN been decoded in this course. (Spoken words can be segmented)
- A unique reading ruler trains pupils to examine their options independently when stuck on a word. Pupils will memorise the very basic phonic facts quickly.
- The suffixes s, le, es, ly, ing and the 2 versions of ed are taught alongside double consonants to increase the words children can read. Easy prefixes are also taught early.
- Every grapheme has its place in the course. For example (gh) words, silent letters, words ending in the ‘igh-er’ or ‘ea-er’ sound are all grouped together to make teaching easier.
- Words which may have two meanings or the same sounding words with different spellings are highlighted on the page. Also, words which can be emphasised at both ends of the word, to provide different meanings are also highlighted.
- Syllable division principles and spelling rules are taught in a graduated way. Teachers are told (in the teaching notes) which module to teach them in.
Practice Reading & Speaking – The Benefits
- The course concentrates on teaching the phonic facts without the clutter. Giving lots of reading practice every step of the way.
- To aid recall, colour and images link the sound and spellings being taught throughout the course. Once the pupil, (in the early stages) has learned the sound the image represents, everything else they will learn is linked to what they know.
- Hints and tips are given on pronunciation for learners whose first language is not English.
- At the end of each module is a scan reading or writing challenge.
- Practice Reading & Speaking is the most comprehensive, simple to use reference work on graphemes that you’re likely to come across. This means that when listening to a child or adult read, you will always be able to find an appropriate example of the spelling pattern the pupil is having difficulty with.
- The precision of the course allows dyslexic students to be taught in a clear way.
- Pages from the course are printable and can be given to students. The modules allow for phoneme targeted reading practice as homework. All the words they will practice will be related to one sound and its various spellings. (No additional license needed for printing.) Learning to rhyme is much easier with a bank of possible words to include.
- As an eBook, the course is searchable. Teachers can keep the phonic facts course on a phone, tablet or computer to search for a grapheme or word as and when needed. Use it as a phonic facts dictionary. Parents can be taught how reading works and could purchase their own copy of Practice Reading& Speaking. (Just contact this website for a school specific bulk buy discount code.)
Learn How to Decode EVERY English Word
A teacher who understands how to decode every word in English (no matter how difficult) can use less words to explain phonic facts. The thinking has been done for you. Every word was analysed, organised by level of difficulty and by phoneme. Words that seem hard to decode will become easy when you see it broken into segments in this course. This course will refine a teacher’s knowledge of phonics. You will learn how to decode even irregular words (yes it is possible). If you can say it, it has sounds, if it has sounds, the sounds can be separated. Teachers can easily find the exact groups of words needed for a supplementary lesson by searching the eBook. This reduces preparation time.
Before you teach a phoneme check the index in the back of the book. You will then be able to tell the student, “Whenever you see this phoneme, it will only ever say……..” If after checking the index you have noticed that there are ten different ways of saying the spelling, tell the student, “In THIS case this spellings says………”. Just teach the alternatives when you get to them. If the child is interested in the other options and is a fast learner, show them the options.
Sending targeted reading practice home, means siblings or parents can help the child practice reading. Retention and reading progress is then accelerated. All abilities, reading levels, national backgrounds and English accents are catered for in this course. Every classroom needs a copy of this eBook to use as a phonic reference guide. Take a closer look below.
Review of Practice Reading & Speaking
- Teaches the facts about phonics succinctly and in order of difficulty
- Can be used for children or adults and gives pronunciation tips for ESL students
- Teaches more spelling patterns of phonemes than ANY other phonics course
- Contains course teaching notes and extra resources for dyslexic students
- Contains phoneme/grapheme tests for before and after teaching
- Teaches Basic English including spelling, writing and public speaking
- Gives plenty of examples of spelling patterns for targeted reading practice
- Irregular words are integrated into the course and organised by spelling
- Can be used alongside ANY phonic course for extra reading practice
- Demonstrates ALL of the spelling options for single sounds
- As an eBook, it is searchable, printable and licence free
Whether you use this course in its entirety to teach phonics or set aside time in each lesson to include it, the benefits will speak for themselves.
PRS STUDENT GUIDE (Just the phonics course without the teaching notes)