Practice Reading and Speaking – eBook PDF by April Phillips
Practice Reading and Speaking is the perfect phonics program to test current phonic knowledge and teach the facts about phonics. Discover precisely which graphemes (spellings of sounds) are not yet known. Teach kids and adults of any nationality to understand English reading and pronunciation. Practice Reading and Speaking uses natural British English pronunciation to teach phonics. With this PDF eBook program your pupils can practice over 1,000 spellings of sounds. After completing the Practice Reading and Speaking course, you and your students will have a comprehensive knowledge of phonics. It will leave you in no doubt as to how to blend and segment the sounds in any word, regardless of whether it is considered to be phonically regular or irregular.
‘Practice Reading and Speaking’ will enable teachers to answer the difficult questions that their pupils ask about phonics. Surprisingly, every word in English can be decoded. You need to learn how to decode irregular words. You can fill every gap in your pupils’ knowledge and understanding of phonics.
Detailed tests are included for before and after teaching. Practice Reading and Speaking can be used as a stand-alone phonics course, as a classroom phonics program and phonic dictionary for giving extra practice when listening to pupils read. Practice Reading and Speaking, will help both teachers and students to notice the finer details of English pronunciation that perhaps hasn’t been meditated on before. Practice Reading and Speaking is also the perfect phonics program and course for home-schooling as the facts about phonics are uncluttered and to the point.
The thorough knowledge of phonics gained through ‘Practice Reading and Speaking’, will allow you to teach phonics clearly, precisely and effortlessly. This perfect phonics program contains 178 pages. Included are teaching notes, teaching ideas for lessons or games and basic English facts. In just seventy Modules or pages the Practice Reading and Speaking phonics program trains any child or adult to perfect their skills in how to sound out words and segment them. They will also learn how to write, spell, read and pronounce every word in fluent British English. By the end of the Practice Reading and Speaking phonics course the student could have an adult reading and spelling age as well as fluent British English Pronunciation.
Practice Reading and Speaking works as a unique accelerated English pronunciation course for students whose first language is not English. Practice Reading and Speaking contains hints and tips on British English pronunciation as the phonics course progresses. You may have been teaching phonics for years but never taught it from the angle of pronunciation for EFL/ESL students. Why not enhance your perception of how a British accent works?
Learn what to teach – When to teach it – How to teach it
- Learn what to teach first, by looking at the pronunciation assessment in Practice Reading and Speaking. It contains twenty one words. These twenty-one words contain all of the sounds/phonemes heard in spoken English. Ask the pupil to be your echo as you say them. If they are unable to pronounce a sound correctly, use Module 2 to explain pronunciation in more detail.
- Next, administer the Practice Reading and Speaking, General Phoneme Assessment found in the teaching notes (it gives a snapshot of the entire course) in order to gain a general idea of where to begin in the course. Once you have a general idea of your pupil’s understanding of phonics, do the next test.
- A more detailed test follows, to define the exact Module in the course that will be of the most benefit to your student as a starting point.
- When you begin to teach Practice Reading and Speaking, you will first give your pupil a brief overview of the facts about reading. You will teach them how to monitor their own progress. You will check that they an pronounce the sounds heard in English. You can then begin to teach the phoneme-graphemes that your pupil doesn’t as yet know. If they already know a fact don’t teach it again. Teach the different methods we commonly use in syllable division. Every assistance on how to teach phonics in a perfect way, with just the right amount of factual information is found in the phonics program teaching notes. Simple explanations can be used directly with your students. Reading and decoding practice ensues.
The Practice Reading and Speaking phonics program begins by teaching the alphabet sounds and ends when the pupil has gained the perfect adult reading age and can read multi-syllable words fluently. By the end of the Practice Reading and Speaking course pupils should be able to read and pronounce any English text fluently and confidently.
Practice Reading and Speaking for Dyslexia Therapists
If you are a dyslexia therapist and are wondering whether this eBook contains the graphemes found in the Schonell Reading Test, it does. It contains the root words of all of the words in the test. Whilst you would never devalue the test by coaching children to ace the test, you have the comfort of knowing that there are hundreds more phoneme-grapheme relationships in Practice Reading and Speaking than there are in other courses. You will be delighted with the perfect precision, detail and interesting words that the Practice Reading and Speaking program contains. Yes, there are a few non-traditional changes but they are there to enhance the teaching and learning experience and simplify the teaching of phonics. You will no longer have to tell your pupil to just accept the spelling as irregular. Every word is explained in terms of sound and spelling. Just as people’s names can sometimes have a unique spelling, we would never dismiss a name as too hard to learn. Why feel that way about English words. Every unique spelling has its proper place in this perfect phonics program, Practice Reading and Speaking.
Practice Reading and Speaking – Contents
The student will learn how to separate and combine sounds with ease and perfect precision, with the Practice Reading and Speaking phonics program. Colour, images and memory techniques aid retention. Pupils learn to notice words which sound the same but have different spellings or how some words have more than one meaning. How to make an educated guess when they can’t read a word, has also been included by means of the reading prompt bookmark. How to write the letters of the alphabet has been included for nationalities whose writing has a different alphabet in their home country.
Practice Reading and Speaking includes basic spelling rules. To improve your spelling, it’s necessary to learn the common spelling rules as well as learn to see the phonetic patterns in words. Learning to write words at the same time as learning to read them, will help improve spelling. Could it be that spelling age is commonly about one year behind reading age because less importance is placed on spelling, when first learning to read? Practice Reading and Speaking allows the pupil to enhance both reading and spelling at the same time. The spelling rules that need teaching, have been organised according to the Module that the concept is first found in. This enables the spelling rule to be taught at the same time that the pupil is learning to read the grapheme. Practice Reading and Speaking, also gives syllable division tips module by module, so that pupils can learn how to separate the syllables in words. This allows for greater efficiency in segmenting and sounding out words.
Helpful advice on the different ways that we structure sentences in English is also given. Practice Reading and Speaking, helps your pupil learn how to search read, scan read and increase reading comprehension. They will learn how to write for different reasons. They will be taught how to improve and refine their creative writing. Proofreading tips can be found in the guide to basic English. Practice Reading and Speaking includes pronunciation tips to support the learning of phonics for those whose first language is not English. This extra precision with phonics, takes the teaching of phonics to a higher level. Phonemes-graphemes are ordered by level of difficulty, sound then spelling. Practice Reading and Speaking even includes useful tips on public speaking. As an English Literacy guide for all ages, it’s probably the most useful book that you will ever buy. To see the list of contents in Practice Reading and Speaking check out the free preview at the bottom of the page.
Practice Reading and Speaking for Teachers
- Teach phonics clearly and effortlessly
- Learn which phonemes/graphemes your pupil has learned so far.
- Test before and after teaching
- Ideas for lessons and reading games
- Ideas for writing & boosting vocabulary
- Teachpupils how to grade their own creative writing
- Track reading progress as the pupil moves through the school
- Teach reading to adult fluency levels
- Use Practice Reading and Speaking for giving individually tutored phonic tuition.
Practice Reading and Speaking for Parents
- Boost your child’s reading, comprehension, vocabulary spelling and writing
- Motivate your child to want to read
- Give your pre-school child the perfect head start with reading
- Teach your child how to read Medical words, Science words or Bible names
- Learn how to teach phonics to a high standard
- Give additional help to a child with a learning disability/dyslexia
- Help your child pass English entrance exams with the basic English guide
- Practice Reading and Speaking is the perfect book for home-schooling in reading, writing and basic English
Practice Reading and Speaking – English as a Second Language
- Pronounce English words with a natural British English accent
- Learn how to spell English words
- Improve your spoken and written English for work
- Expand your vocabulary
- Improve your job prospects
- Be understood more clearly
Practice Reading and Speaking English for Work
- Fill in the gaps in your knowledge of spelling and punctuation
- Refine your spoken English
- Improve your written English skills for work
- Essential tips on public speaking
- Improve your English sentence structure and report writing
- Learn to proofread for mistakes in writing
Practice Reading and Speaking is a comprehensive guide to the teaching of reading and Phonics. It is also an innovative English pronunciation course. By learning English pronunciation through the separation of the individual sounds heard in English, it shortens the time taken to learn how to pronounce English words perfectly.
© www.teachreading.info 2013